The humanitarian aspects of the coronavirus pandemic are continuing to emerge. Experts are especially concerned about conditions in refugee and internment camps.
- Launch of the COVID-19 Global Humanitarian Response Plan.
- UN policy brief on COVID-19 and the Arab States
- UN policy brief on COVID-19 in Southeast Asia
- UN policy brief on COVID-19 in an urban world
- UNSG, Mr. António Guterres made an appeal for a global ceasefire. Read the statement here.
- UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie B has advocated for a human centred response in this statement.
- In already strained refugee camps, COVID-19 is feared to be potentially devastating. UNHCR has launched an urgent appeal.
- International Rescue Committee ramps up its response to the COVID-19 pandemic, focusing on the crisis zones especially those with weak health systems.
- IFRC, IOM, UNHCR and WHO have jointly developed an interim guidance on scaling COVID-19 preparedness and response in humanitarian situations including camps and camp-like settings.
“We know Coronavirus doesn’t respect borders and that it hits the vulnerable hardest, those with weak health systems.”
– IRC President and CEO, David Miliband