UN Foundation, WHO and Swiss Philanthropy Foundation, create the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund
The UN Foundation, at the request of WHO, and in partnership with Swiss Philanthropy Foundation, has created the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund which was launched Friday March 13, 2020 by WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Ghebreyesus.
This first-of-its-kind mechanism will mean companies, philanthropies, and individuals can contribute to WHO’s work to prevent, detect, and respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. This vital work is designed to ensure all countries are prepared, especially those with the weakest health systems.
According to WHO’s own Strategic Preparedness and Response Plan, there is a critical funding need of $ 675 million USD through the end of April alone. Donations to the Fund will support global efforts to:
- Gather critical data about the virus itself and its spread, including by boosting countries’ laboratory capacity through training and equipment
- Ensure patients get the care they need and front-line health workers get essential supplies and information to respond
- Help develop and deploy best practice guidance so countries, communities, and health care providers can keep people safe
- Guide and coordinate scientists around the world to rapidly develop vaccines, better diagnostic tests and potential treatments
- Ensure the public has accurate, science-based, and timely information, to protect themselves, prevent infection and care for those in need
The Fund launched with major commitments from Facebook and Google. There are two immediate ways to take action:
- Share this important giving opportunity with your networks, including employees or partners who may be eager to help. A toolkit with simple language, digital and social collateral,and FAQs can be found here
- Share the website link with those who have reached out to you directly indicating interest to contribute: accessible at COVID19ResponseFund.org. You can also contact our team directly about donations at email@example.com
As the situation continues to change rapidly, so will the needs of WHO’s global response efforts, and the Fund. We will continue to share updates as appropriate. In these unsettled times, we are inspired by the incredible outpouring of solidarity and support from this community.
Your support is greatly appreciated in this global effort to equip countries to respond to COVID-19. Please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- For more information, click here
- To give: visit website
- COVID19 Solidarity Response Fund partner toolkit