20 February 2019
(1.) In 2017, DKT expanded to 9 new FP2020 countries (Cote d’Ivoire, Mauritania, Guinea-Bissau, Benin, Guinea, Mali, Kenya, Uganda, and Bolivia). In 2018, DKT made first-time sales in 11 countries and 1 U.S. territory, 7 of which are committed to FP2020 (Afghanistan, Gambia, Honduras, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Sudan, and Togo). This year’s expansion brings DKT to a total of 16 additional FP2020, nearly one and a half times our 2016 commitment.
(2.) In 2017, DKT generated 3.2 million incremental CYPs. In 2018, DKT generated 43.6 million couple years of protection (CYP) in 2018, an incremental growth of 7.4 million from 2017. With last year’s incremental CYPs (3.2 million), DKT has achieved its commitment of 10 million CYPs.
(3.) In 2017, DKT reinvested $145,662,227 of sales revenue and approximately $8 million of discretionary funds into DKT programs. In 2018, DKT reinvested approximately $155 million of sales and $10 million of discretionary funds. All together, DKT has reinvested about $318 million. (Please note 2018 figures are unaudited. Audited information will be available once the 2018 audit is complete).
DKT’s growth over 2018 was facilitated by our four-prong approach, a strategy that builds upon our best practices and leverages technology to improve our reach and impact. We have enhanced our classic social marketing model; we use regional programs to distribute products across areas with common cultures or languages; we deliver products worldwide through the private sector through the WomanCare platform; and we ride the digital revolution wave to create access to safe abortion and contraceptive information, counseling, and products through social media, e-commerce platforms, and multi-lingual websites.
In 2018, our contraceptive and safe abortion products, services, and technologies averted 12.7 million pregnancies, 31,884 maternal deaths, and 9.8 million unsafe abortions.
In December 2016, DKT made a commitment to FP2020 and Every Woman, Every Child. In summary, DKT committed to:
• expand its programming to an additional 11 FP2020 focus countries by 2018;
• provide an incremental 10 million couple years of protection (CYPs) above and beyond what it would otherwise have provided by the end of 2020;
• reinvest approximately $300 million of its own sales revenue into its social marketing programs over the next four years and spend $20 million of its discretionary funds to achieve FP2020 goals.
Progress in 2017:
• expanded regional programming to 13 new countries, of which nine are FP2020 focus countries (Cote d’Ivoire, Mauritania, Guinea-Bissau, Benin, Guinea, Mali, Kenya, Uganda, and Bolivia).
• generated an incremental 3.2 million CYPs over 2016, providing a total of 36.6 million couple years of protection through the sale of family planning products and services.
• reinvested approximately $126 million of sales revenue and $8 million of discretionary funds to social marketing programs around the world (note: these figures are unaudited. Audited information can be provided once DKT’s audit report is completed).
These efforts averted an estimated 7.6 million unintended pregnancies, 4.6 million unsafe abortions, 14,600 maternal deaths, and 54,000 child deaths.
Through social marketing sales, educational campaigns, and outreach activities, DKT provided family planning products to young women and men in more than 40 countries, including:
• 666 million condoms;
• 96.8 million cycles of oral contraceptives;
• 7.9 million doses of emergency contraception;
• more than 28 million doses of injectable contraceptives;
• and approximately 3.6 million IUDs.
As a part of its commitment to FP2020 in support of Every Woman Every Child, DKT will leverage its social marketing expertise using culturally relevant marketing and educational campaigns to increase the accessibility, availability, and affordability of a wide variety of modern contraceptives. Currently operating in 33 countries—17 of which are FP2020 focus countries—DKT plans on expanding its programming to an additional 11 FP2020 focus countries by 2018.
Through these activities, DKT expects to provide an incremental 10 million couple years of protection (CYPs) above and beyond what it would otherwise have provided by the end of 2020. Financially, DKT will reinvest approximately $300 million of its own sales revenue into its social marketing programs over the next four years. DKT also will spend $20 million of its discretionary funds to achieve FP2020 goals. More information about this commitment can be found here.